Nearly everyone has had a tension or what used to be called a stress headache.
Tension headache symptoms include:
- Mild to moderate pain or pressure all the way around your head, like a vise.
- These are due to tight muscles in your shoulders, neck, scalp and jaw, often related to stress, depression or anxiety.
There are two types of tension headaches:
- Occasional, less than 15 days a month
- Chronic, more than 15 days a month
You’re more likely to get tension headaches if you:
- Work too much
- Don’t get enough sleep
- Miss meals
- Use alcohol
- Are under a lot of stress
- Have poor posture
How to get relief from tension headaches?
Learn healthy breathing techniques and try putting lavender or peppermint oil in your bath.
Then there’s migraines, cluster headaches and sinus headaches.
Most headaches get better when you make lifestyle changes, learn ways to relax and take pain relievers.
If that doesn’t help you, consider:
- Massage therapy
- The herb butterbur or feverfew, unless you’re pregnant; and if you are, talk with your doctor first
What causes headaches?
Many things. But it’s usually not serious.
However, headaches can signal a more serious disorder. Let your health care provider know if you have sudden, severe headaches.
Get medical help right away if:
- You have a headache after a blow to your head.
- You have a headache along with a stiff neck, fever, confusion, loss of consciousness or pain in your eye or ear.
Robert W. Ferguson, D.C., F.I.A.M.A., state-licensed chiropractor and acupuncturist, sees patients at 2250 W. 86th Street, Ste. 100, on the north side of Indianapolis by Metro Diner. Just look for the orange sign.
Chiropractic Rehabilitation & Acupuncture now accepts Healthy Indiana Plan for chiropractic services, and most insurance for chiropractic therapy and acupuncture.
Dr. Ferguson also offers a noninvasive low-energy or low-level laser therapy that is Food and Drug Administration approved for temporary pain relief. But most insurance plans don’t cover it just yet.