Always interesting to see how crowded Weight Watchers meetings and gyms are the first the of year. Can’t blame the holiday parties, macaroni and cheese, or chocolate. Right?
No. Never too much chocolate.
Whether we keep New Year’s resolutions or not depends a lot on how we think of them.
Exercise, for example. Stress relief or obligation?
Either way, here are just a few ways to prevent back pain in the future:
- Learn proper exercise, posture and breathing techniques from a professional.
- Push, rather than lift, a shovel when clearing snow.
- Distribute the weight of a heavy purse or laptop bag. Lift the strap over your head, then rest it on the opposite shoulder.
- Make sure your child’s backpack doesn’t weigh more than 10 percent of his body weight.
- Don’t turn your body when lifting heavy objects.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects over your head.
- Use luggage with wheels.
- If you have to cross your legs, alternate knees.
Robert W. Ferguson, D.C., F.I.A.M.A., state-licensed chiropractor and acupuncturist, sees patients at 2250 W. 86th Street, Ste. 100, on the north side of Indianapolis by Le Peep restaurant. Just look for the orange sign.
Chiropractic Rehabilitation & Acupuncture now accepts Healthy Indiana Plan for chiropractic services, and most insurance for chiropractic therapy and acupuncture.